Answering your question about what is a pocket door requires tackling the subject of pocket door installation. With us, you will become familiar with how to remove a pocket door, how to fix a pocket door, and how to install a pocket door into an existing wall. In case you’re wondering are pocket doors expensive, we will not disappoint you.
Pocket door installation step-by-step
- Pocket doors installation is a bit complicated considering that they are hung from the top which slides on a track-mounted within the wall. To install your pocket door, follow the detailed instructions below:
- Build the bumpy opening or adjust the present wall to match the bumpy opening dimensions for the door jump provided by your chosen manufacturer of the equipment.
- Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer and cut the header-and-track assembly of the pocket door to length using a crosscut.
- Situate the header-and-track assembly on the upper jamb with the brackets and fasteners that come with the door. Pin the endplate to the wall studs.
- Affix the split jamb stiffeners to the floor bracket and follow this by plumbing them with a level and pin the brackets to the floor. Pin the split jamb to the header.
- Do the same thing for the second pair of stiffeners by installing them amid the pocket.
- Stain or paint all the faces and edges of the door to avoid any warping.
- Situate the hanging hardware on the upper edge of the door following the directions of the manufacturer.
- Glide the wheel hangers within the track hanging the door on both hangers.
- Fix the handers till the door becomes plumb and situate the lock/handle of the door on both hangers.
- Now it’s time to remove the door to situate drywall over the pocket of the door by making usage of construction adhesive and 1-inch drywall screws.
- Use drywall tape and a bunch of coats of drywall compound to finish the joints.
- Install the door again then the floor guides on the outside and inside of the door at the pocket’s mouth.
- Fix the head jambs and the two-piece jambs on either side of the door to become flush with the surface of the finished wall.
- With screws, install one side of the head jamb to remove the door in case a problem occurs.
- Situate a full-width strike jamb on the opposite side.
- Make a hole and chisel a superficial mortise in this jamb for the strike plate engaged by the door latch.
- Make an installation of the door casing, nail it to the jamb and the studs of the pocket door.
- With shorter nails, fix the casing on the door jamb’s pocket side to keep damage from happening to the door.
How to remove a pocket door in 4 steps!
How to remove a pocket door is an easier endeavor, to remove a pocket door follow these 4 simple steps:
- Remove the caulk present on the doorstep by scratching it off.
- Remove the doorstop from the frame
- Lift out entirely the pocket door
- Pull out your pocket door
How to fix a pocket door, a two scenarios approach
For the inquiry about how to fix a pocket door, there are two scenarios. The first one relates to the pocket door being off its track. Start with removing the pocket door as per the steps mentioned above.
Make use of a utility knife to get rid of the paint seal, position the door in a way that makes it centered in the doorway, lean it towards the room, then raise the rollers out of the overhead track. Now take a look at the rollers, are they broken, fouled, or worn? Decide as to whether to repair or replace them.
The second scenario relates to the pocket door not rolling well. The problem detected emanates from the rollers. Investigate whether they are properly fitted into the track. If they are, remove the door to diagnose the dilemma.
Start by removing the two stops from the head jamb and from one side jamb to raise the door and lift it out. Angle the bottom outwards then raise the door. Inspect the rollers. If they are just loose, tighten them, or replace the loose screws at the base. If broken, make a replacement for both.
How to install a pocket door into an existing wall
The answer to how to install a pocket door into an existing wall requires space for the pocket door. Buy a kit for a pocket door at your chosen hardware store. Check if your wall fits the pocket door you’re about to install. If it fits, remove the existing door if it exists then remove the drywall on one side of the wall. Be careful when cutting the exposed studs. You’re ready now to assemble the door and the hardware.
For that, you need to make a new header if applicable, install the slider track, position the door and the hardware into the slider track. Now you’re ready to finish. With new drywall, you can replace the drywall you previously removed. Follow this by installing the latch hardware, finishing the installation of the drywall, decorating or painting the wall as you please, and then installing the door trim.
Are pocket doors expensive and how do they compare to barn doors?
After answering your question what is a window sash and why is it essential? , If you are wondering are pocket doors expensive, we can assure you that they have a reasonable price and can match barn doors at their lowest range although they can go beyond the pricing limit of a barn door. However, they remain easily concealed when open, very space-efficient, and highly accessible.
That was everything you need to know about a pocket door. We started with what is a pocket door and ended with an answer to your question are pocket doors expensive. We hope this blog was useful to your projects and a good reference as to what your future home decisions will be!